Thursday 14 March 2013

Why this week was a special week... THANKS, SIPPS!

Okay, so there are a number of reasons why I've decided this blog adventure is such a great thing...

One: I love to eat, and this adventure gives me a chance to do just that. I think that I've made that apparent by now; but it is certainly deserving of the number one spot, just in case anyone has missed it... Oh - and if you've really missed it, then I'll introduce you some time to my new friend, Treadmill.

Two: I love to try new food. And more than that, I like to know that I'm not missing out on somewhere really good just because I lean to much on the "tried and true". 

Three: I like being social. Eating brings people together. You do the "math".

Four: My food tastes have changed significantly (look for more details on this in the upcoming blog from our visit to Curry Original).  

Five: I love the idea of supporting local businesses. I certainly love money in my wallet, but if it has to go somewhere else, I would much rather it be in the hands of a local entrepreneur. If I can help other people decide where to put their hard-earned-cash, all the better.

And that brings me to the special thing about this week. In a round about way, I found out that my blog got a bit of a "shout out" on Facebook from one local business - Sipps Coffee and Dessert Bar (one of those "a friend follows such and such who shared the blah-di-blah and tagged me..." kind of stories...). To be honest, I had to go back to read what I had written because while I could remember my original visit being absolutely unplanned but delightful (you can find the original blog using the navigation on the right of this page), I couldn't remember specific details other than "I love cheesecake" or "I ate too much cheesecake" or "I can't believe I ate so much cheesecake". 

Long story short, through the wondrous world of Facebook, Sipps let me know that not only have they started making more delicious treats "in-house", but they are also having a Thursday cake sale.  Let me paint that picture for you in other words: fresher product, cheaper ($4.95!!!) on Thursdays. 

The result? Well, they must have read my original blog to know that I would be tempted - and I certainly didn't hesitate to get my cheesecake-lovin'-butt down there to take advantage. Luckily (or unluckily?!) for me, I didn't have to be (or get to be?!) gluttonous completely on my own since I had pot-luck plans with my fellow blog adventurers... and I left with a PILE of desserts to (sigh) share. 


So, what happens when you put a bunch of food-lovers together to eat treats from Sipps? They get VERY happy... And slightly chubby... but most importantly VERY happy (you, too, can have a good friend, Treadmill!). Food lover or not, I can GUARANTEE that eating in or taking out, Sipps is well worth a stop. 

Why, you may ask, were we so happy? This stuff just rocks. Carrot cake, triple chocolate cheesecake, peanut butter cheesecake, cookies... I remember things being awesome during our last visit, but since then, Sipps has started making more treats in-house; which has resulted in desserts that are... well, what's better then awesome? Phenomenal? Super-fantastic? Outta-sight? Yeah - it's resulted in all of those things and more. Even by the time we got to eating those slices of deliciousness from their take-out containers after dinner, it all tasted fresh and wonderful. 

If you knew me as recently as a couple of years ago, you would know that I was never a huge dessert fan; but it's places like this that have made me change my mind over the last while. Even more than that, they allow me to understand why my Mom used to say that she was "craving" sweets from time to time when I was a kid. Now I believe that when desserts are done well, they are worth craving... So here I sit, having stuffed myself with a delicious pot-luck dinner and a FANTASTIC dessert made by Sipps, wondering when I will be lucky enough to go back for more.

Don't be a skeptic; be a believer. And if you "don't like desserts" like I didn't... well, convert. It's worth it. And don't worry - I'll introduce you to my other friends, Running Shoes. They are really good at helping with the guilt.

Sipps Coffee and Dessert Bar on Urbanspoon



No comments:

Post a Comment